Thursday, May 06, 2004

First off, my apologies to all you die-hard Metallica fans that may have taken my review of Some Kind of Monster as inflammatory or provocative. It was just an honest and quite spontaneous reaction to what I saw and felt. It's a solid film, and some kind of next step for rock docs, just not sure if it's going up or down.

Another postscript: The 10 year old girl who plays drums in the Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players is in fact the daughter of Ma and Pa Trachtenburg. They really are a family - fuck if I knew! I wasn't THAT impressed with their live show, but I heard a song off the record... and it's pretty great sunny oddball psych with nice production that any post Daniel Johnston/Beach Boys obsessive could dig into. Maybe I will one day.

I went to Coachella this past weekend. I know, it's hard for me to believe too. Not gonna spend much time here ruminating: saw a few great shows (Kraftwerk and Air chief among them; Wayne Coyne crowd-surfed in a giant plastic bubble; Beck covered "Kangaroo"; I said FUCK DA PIXIES), walked about 50 miles, enjoyed "quality time" with friends, drove too much.

No comments: